Inclusive Governance and Accountability
Transparent, effective and accountable institutions and respect for human rights provides access to justice, fosters equality and engenders trust among communities and people. AAHRED seeks to aid in creating a culture of integrity in service delivery and secure the participation and engagement of citizenry in the governance of jurisdictions in which they find themselves. AAHRED encourages all citizens to participate in governance, most especially, people with disabilities, women, children and all minority groups.
We focus on policy research, advocacy and action centered on advancing systemic change and realizing economic and social justice in government and private sectors.
To achieve good governance, it is our firmly held belief – informed by the evidence – which the basic building blocks must be in place: We therefore produce research that assesses whether these institutional building blocks are in place or at least being built. Where these are lacking, we produce policy briefings that inform government policymaking to strengthen key institutions to achieve the following four objectives:
- Governance must be transparent and accountable to citizens,
- Rule of law must be adhered to,
- Corruption must be rooted out in all spheres (in the private and public sectors),
- Media freedom must be upheld, respected, and reinforced at every opportunity.
In line with our key objectives, we work for credible and reliable institutions meant to solve people’s issues on the principles of equality. Good governance exists where credible and trustworthy institutions are built on the principles of transparency and accountability. Poverty thrives due to deficiencies in existing social and economic policies or lack of implementation of good policies, the ideas and research upon which they rest
Since accountability goes beyond the aspect of responsibility in delivering a particular service and mandate by the public institutions, AAHRED, in partnership with other organizations, focus on:
- Conduct policy-relevant economic research that responds to the concerns of community, civil society, and progressive politics and directly contribute towards leveraging social change through Policy advocacy and action,
- Promoting citizen’s engagement and participation that increase their human rights awareness responsibilities and entitlements and Strengthen anti-corruption and good governance initiatives ,
- Advocating for women and children’s inclusion and empower women to participate in decision-making processes that affect their lives at community and higher levels,
- Promoting and creating all-inclusive conditions for economic progress and social cohesion, sustainable growth, improving performance, and monitoring through institutional building,
- Promote collective efforts towards anti-corruption, accountability, transparency and openness in governance,
- Strengthen anti-corruption and good governance through high-quality research and advocacy at all levels to increase the transparency of operations by government and institutions and be able to address the deep economic and social crises that manifest in extreme levels of poverty, inequality and unemployment which undermine democracy and democratic institutions,
- Strengthening civil society capacity to hold the government accountable by documenting cases of corruption.
AAHRED strongly believes that a democratic society with a proactive practice of transparency, accountability and the rule of law is on the right development pathway prompting deliberate action to promote these ideals in our program and activities across different sectors in Kenya and in other African countries. Only effective and sustainable management of resources could propel Africa’s community development and help reduce poverty.
Natural Resources Management
We also focus on Natural resources as critical to development; socio-economically, culturally and communally, necessitating a focus on conserving, protecting and sustainably utilizing natural resources with particular emphasis on agriculture, mining, energy production and water consumption with great emphasis on promoting environmental health that include water and air pollution prevention and control .
We promote credible and reliable institutions meant to solve people’s issues on the principles of equality and good governance where credible and trustworthy institutions are built on the principles of transparency and accountability. Since accountability goes beyond the aspect of responsibility in delivering services and mandate by the public institutions, AAHRED in partnership with other organizations, focus on:
Citizen’s engagement and participation
Promote citizen’s engagement and participation that increase their human rights awareness responsibilities and entitlements.
Inclusion and Empowerment of women
Advocate for women and children’s inclusion and empowerment of women to participate in decision-making processes that affect their lives at community and higher levels.
Economic progress ,social cohesion and sustainable growth
Promoting and creating all-inclusive conditions for economic progress , social cohesion, sustainable growth, improving performance, and monitoring through institutional building